A pneumatic hacksaw is a powerful tool that you can use for various purposes. It is important to understand this tool’s advantages and purpose before using it. With the proper knowledge, you can complete projects quickly and safely.
What is a pneumatic hacksaw?
A pneumatic hacksaw is a manual cutting tool with a pneumatic drive, designed for cutting sheet metal, wood, and other materials, cutting pipes and other rolled products, cutting holes in products, etc.
Such a tool provides highly efficient sawing of various materials in hard-to-reach places. It is used at facilities where it is impossible to use other types of energy, including due to current safety regulations. For example, it can be rooms with a saturated or explosive atmosphere. Therefore, this tool is indispensable in mines and mining facilities.
Usually, saws of this type are used
- To cut metal structures;
- To make holes in concrete walls and ceilings;
- For pruning trees;
- For quick and safe cutting of fiberglass, plastic, and aluminum;
- In carpentry (to cut boards and logs);
- In the mining industry;
- In industries where compressed air is used;
- For work with stone.
Types of pneumatic hacksaws
There are four types of pneumatic hacksaws:
- Reciprocating saws;
- Circular saws;
- Band saws;
- Chain saws.
Reciprocating saws can be used to work with many different materials. You can use them to cut sheet materials, pipes, rolled products, molded products, and more. They are also versatile because you can use them to make both straight and curved cuts on flat and curved surfaces. You can even change the blade to work with different types of material.
Chain saws can be used for different tasks, but they are usually used to cut rough materials like wood. However, they are also useful for cutting through rigid materials like metal and concrete.
Circular saws are best for quickly cutting through sheet materials and rolled products. However, they can only make straight cuts.
Band saws are good for sawing pipes, profiles, rolled products, and molded products. They can make both straight and curved cuts.
How does the pneumatic hacksaw work
A pneumatic rotary engine powered by compressed air is at the heart of all pneumatic saws, regardless of their type and design. The engine is installed in housing on which the working body, handles, switches, and other parts are mounted. Compressed air is supplied by a fitting or a short hose with a fitting. Today, the standard 1/4 inch fitting is most often used to connect to a compressed air line. The saws use rotary pneumatic motors with a shaft speed of 5000-14,000 rpm, the power of such motors can reach 4 l/s and even more.
The torque transmission to the working body is usually carried out through a gearbox, and some types of saws (reciprocating) necessarily include a gearbox to convert rotational motion into reciprocating. All saws and hacksaws are equipped with interchangeable working bodies so that you can use blades, discs, or chains with different types of teeth, different lengths, from different materials, etc.
In addition, many reciprocating saws can work with various additional devices, for example, a device for cutting pipes with a reciprocating saw, which provides fastening of the blade on both sides and its tension.
The advantages of using a pneumatic hacksaw
Pneumatic saws have many advantages, the main of which are:
- High power and performance;
- A wide range of applications;
- Ease of use;
- Versatility (a wide variety of interchangeable working bodies);
- The lower noise level during operation;
- Environmental safety;
- Reliability, ease of maintenance;
- Many models have two handles (it is convenient for right-handers and left-handers);
- Modifications are available that are suitable for underwater work;
- No sudden stops or regular tool overloads;
- The “start” key is equipped with a special stopper.
Parameters to consider when choosing a pneumatic saw
When choosing a pneumatic hacksaw, you should pay attention to the following parameters:
- Saw type;
- Maximum depth of cut;
- Average air consumption;
- Rotation speed;
- The level of vibrations;
- Maximum allowable compressed air pressure;
- The presence of a built-in oiler;
- Air intake size;
- Weight and dimensions;
- Size and type of working body.
You should also pay attention to the manufacturer, as the saws of well-known brands are more reliable and last longer. Also, do not forget about the price – it should be commensurate with the quality of the tool.
Tips for safely using a pneumatic hacksaw
- Always wear protective clothing, gloves, respirators, and safety goggles.
- Do not use the saw in dusty rooms – this can lead to clogging of the air intake and failure of the tool.
- Be careful when working with the saw near flammable liquids and gases – there is a risk of fire or explosion.
- Do not use the saw in wet rooms – this can damage the tool.
- Be sure to read the instructions for your particular saw model before use.
- Inspect the saw before each use – make sure that all parts are securely fastened, and there is no damage.
- Use only high-quality blades and discs designed for use with pneumatic saws.
- Do not use the saw for purposes other than those specified in the instructions.
- If the saw starts to vibrate excessively or make unusual noises, stop using it and contact a service center.
Pneumatic hacksaws are one of the most popular power tools today. You can use them in various industries and sectors, including construction, woodworking, mining, and manufacturing. With the proper knowledge and understanding of how the tool works, you can complete any project quickly and safely.